Need some help stopping this spam . . .

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Thu Feb 19 16:57:41 GMT 2004

At 10:37 AM 2/19/2004, Jeff Falgout wrote:
>And I've got spam.assassin.prefs.conf configured to stop it also:

<snip>

I can't help you with the MailScanner white/blacklist problem, but I can
help you with the SA rules problem.

First, SpamAssassin rulenames MUST be unique. The above lines clobber each
other repeatedly, leaving you with a single HANDWRITING_SPAM rule.. the
last one. All the others have been obliterated and will be ignored by SA...
Re-name them

Next, you've forgotten to properly escape some things... all the @'s and
.'s need to be \@ and \. I suspect that the , and " characters also need
escaping with backslashes as well. Most punctuation does. These mistakes
won't break things per-se, but will change the meaning of your regex... "."
is a wildcard for example, so /te.net/ will match "telnet" "te net" or
"te;net".

Lastly, I suspect that this isn't the only set of errors in your
spam.assassin.prefs.conf. Using the above config lines I at least get the
Virtual server check to fire off.

I'd suggest copying spam.assassin.prefs.conf to a user's
~/.spamassassin/user_prefs and running spamassassin --lint over it.