Mailscanner on Debian Woody

Erik van der Meulen (by way of Erik van der Meulen <erik at avondel.com>) erik at AVONDEL.COM
Thu Feb 19 16:26:56 GMT 2004

Dear all -

I am trying to set up Mailscanner on my Debian Woody mail server. On the
Mailscanner site I have found a document that seems to explain exactly
how to accomplish this:

   http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cgi-bin/faq?_highlightWords=debian&file=226

However, the mailscanner package that is currently found in the unstable
tree is not the same version as mentionned in the document (4.26.7-2
instead of 4.24.5-1) and it does not install well at all.

If I do: dpkg --install mailscanner*.deb, I get:

Selecting previously deselected package mailscanner.
(Reading database ... 17953 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking mailscanner (from mailscanner_4.26.7-2_all.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mailscanner:
  mailscanner depends on libnet-cidr-perl; however:
    Package libnet-cidr-perl is not installed.
    dpkg: error processing mailscanner (--install):
    mailscanner

And if I try to start mailscanner later, I get:

Starting MailScanner...
Can't locate Net/CIDR.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/MailScanner
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.6.1 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1 /usr/share/perl/5.6.1
/usr/local/lib/site_perl/i386-linux /usr/local/lib/site_perl .
/usr/share/MailScanner) at /usr/share/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm
line 34.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/share/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm line 34.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 42.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 42

Now I am wondering if it would be possible to get this new mailscanner
running on Woody at all, or if I should try to find the old package
(4.24.5-1)?

Any suggestions much appreciated!

--
   Erik van der Meulen <e.van.der.meulen at avondel.com>