Single process taking over?

Stephe Campbell campbell at CNPAPERS.COM
Wed Feb 18 16:02:49 GMT 2004

Mr. Field,

That was it. 3 bayes files and the user_prefs:

drwx------    3 root     root         4096 Feb 17 16:26 .
drwxr-xr-x   17 root     root         4096 Feb 18 09:16 ..
-rw-------    1 root     root       141509 Feb 17 16:25 bayes_journal
-rw-------    1 root     root      2506752 Feb 17 16:25 bayes_seen
-rw-------    1 root     root      8818688 Feb 17 16:25 bayes_toks
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Feb 17 16:26 temp
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1178 Feb 17 16:25 user_prefs

I'm not real sure, though, what caused the fix. As I indicated, I upgraded
ClamAV and SpamAssassin, and tested each before proceding to the next step.
Neither seemed to fix the problem on a short-term basis. Maybe letting them
run longer would have fixed something or showed a different result. I then
did your suggestion for the bayes locks in the root home directory. This was
all that was there before and after the move. I did turn bayes off and back
on after the move of these files to temp. I also have auto_expire off now.

So I ventured from good problem solving and did two things at once - the mv
of all the files into temp directory and turning off auto_expiry. That's why
I thought I might turn this back on later since SA was updated. I never did
see a "completion" in my maillogs for the expiry.

My personal feelings about all of this has always been the Auto_expire
stuff, but I'm no expert, as you may be able to tell from my sometimes
sporadic posts, and was going to attempt the switching off of this prior to
your replies.

Thanks
Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com