should we kill incoming virus notifications

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Tue Feb 17 21:26:27 GMT 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:05 am, Chris Yuzik wrote:
> I have my mail server configured to not bounce virus notifications, as
> I'm sure most of us do.
>
> Would it be a good idea to kill incoming virus notifications from other
> mail servers that DO bounce (or is it spam?) virus messages? Most, if
> not all, viruses these days forge the sender email anyways.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

Personally I'd like to educate admins NOT to send virus alerts at all - even
for viruses that are known to have real sender addresses.  If the user of
the infected machine is naive enough not to use a virus scanner and keep it
up to date, they are not going to care if they get an alert.

Secondly, sending these alerts to spoofed senders has caused an exponential
rise in my workload from concerned clients.  I almost got to the stage
where I was going to record an explanation about spoofed/faked sender
addresses, Mydoom and bad admins on my voice mail! ;)

If admins start accepting these virus alerts to faked senders, and filtering
them etc, then we simply re-enforce the actions of the admins who have
poorly configured machines.

Just my $0.02 worth.

James
--
Fortune cookies says:
BOFH excuse #141:

disks spinning backwards - toggle the hemisphere jumper.