Sendmail Question (OT)

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Tue Feb 17 00:02:02 GMT 2004

I have some in herited Hylafax machines here and they use sendmail to
route mail. Everything lives on Private subnet, no DNS services only
WINS NT4 server. Hylafax does regular real world MX lookups and all mail
then routes to our main SMTP gateway (public IP).

I want to change this to point it at a another mail server on the
private subnet, to save poking holes in the firewalls for users we are
diverting all outbound SMTP traffic to internal mail servers.

To force the sendmail (hylafax machines) to send all outdound mail to
the local mail server i tried the following.

I changed the mailertable and added the 10.1.10.4 IP of the local mail
server using the following format
xxx.com.au SMTP:10.1.10.4  (i used a tab to space it)
then did # /usr/sbin/makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable.db <
/etc/mail/mailertable

I also tried to add the mail server host name of "tardis" to /etc/hosts
10.1.10.4 tardis

But this didnt work, i get the following in the maillog
Feb 16 09:47:44 HylaFAX sendmail[5605]: i1FMlh3D005604:
to=mfax at xxx.com.au <mailto:mfax at xxx.com.au>, ctladdr=<fax at HylaFAX>
(10/14), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=smtp, pri=36118,
relay=tardis, dsn=5.1.2, stat=Host unknown (Name server: tardis: host
not found)

What do i need to do to sendmail to specify the server for all outbound
mail?

Appreciate any heklp or suggestions i can get.
Thanks