SpamAssassin Bayes filter and MailScanner

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Mon Feb 16 23:38:12 GMT 2004

At 06:00 PM 2/16/2004, Mike McMullen wrote:

>I fed about 1000 spam emails today to sa-learn. Watching the
>mail logs for MailScanner entries, I never see the Bayes Score
>show up.

How many ham emails did you feed to sa-learn?

Bayes will NOT activate without 500 spam and 500 ham messages, minimum.

Also, beware that spam.assassin.prefs.conf makes mailscanner's
bayes_path  different

         bayes_path                 /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes

Thus, when you train, you need to train with an account that has that same
bayes path in it's user_prefs (ie: I do this with root).

Also make sure that /var/spool/spamassassin exists as a directory.

DO NOT make a subdirectory named "bayes" in there.