Preference for batch sizes

David Hooton david at PLATFORMHOSTING.COM
Thu Feb 12 22:52:14 GMT 2004

Hi Steve,

I've found on an i386 box with 1 gig of ram, 80 Gig 7200RPM IDE disk and an
AMD 2200 processor, using tempfs for the work dir that 3 children and 10
messages per batch is the most efficient combination.

If you have an evening free, write yourself a script to flood the box with a
decent number of messages and do some timings on how long each combination
takes to clear the queue - results below.

Spam Load Test

Messages        Children        Msg/batch       Mins
50              4               5               0:08:39 Workdir = DISK
50              3               5               0:08:05 Workdir = DISK
50              3               10              0:09:38 Workdir = DISK
50              2               10              0:13:07 Workdir = DISK
50              1               10              0:17:00 Workdir = DISK
50              0               10              0:15:00 Workdir = DISK
50              3               5               0:01:51 Workdir = TEMPFS
50              3               10              0:01:02 Workdir = TEMPFS
50              3               15              0:01:10 Workdir = TEMPFS

We've managed to drop load on the box to 1/3 of it's old load just by
playing with these settings alone, and a further reduction in load after
that by tuning our spamassassin rules very savagely.

We have also recently taken to storing the Bayes DB's in tempfs which has
helped further reduce load and improve performance.

Hope this helps you and anyone else with these kinds of issues.

Cheers!

Dave

 Pain free spam & virus protection by:          www.mailsecurity.net.au
 Forward undetected SPAM to:                   spam at mailsecurity.net.au