Updating importance

Billy A. Pumphrey bpumphrey at WOODMACLAW.COM
Wed Feb 11 15:24:38 GMT 2004

Ok, thanks for the reply Miguel and Julian.  I do have Sophos running on it and it updates every 2 hours I believe.  So yes, as far as virus that is updated in a timely fashion and I was more speaking of MailScanner its self.  From what you said updating it is simple, which is good, and I should just keep a look out for certain updates and would be needed to coincide with the virus scanner engine or something to that effect to catch new things that are out.

I have saved some of the emails that were talking about updating so that I hopefully wouldn't be completely clueless when that time comes around for me, however if its simple hopefully someone can make a few simple setps to update because the emails didn't quit tell how to but just how to tell what version and such.  I didn't know if it was a matter of needing to backup the configs and doing the update then importing the configs, or just applying the update.

-----Original Message-----
From: Miguel Koren O'Brien de Lacy [mailto:miguelk at KONSULTEX.COM.BR]
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 10:00 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Updating importance

Billy;

I assume you mean Mail Scanner itself and not the anti-virus engine or
pattern. The pattern especially should be updated as frequently as
possible because they all work by comparison with known virus
definitions. As to Mail Scanner itself, there are some occasions, which
are ususally very evident on this mailing list, when an update is
important to catch a new type os virus mechanism or interpret a new or
changed resut from a virus scanner that you may be using. Those updates
are very infrequent in my history with Mail Scanner (about 3 years). I
usually update anyway though, a few weeks after a stable release is
available because it's pretty simple and usually has some new features I
think I may use (but I never do).

But I also believe in the golden rule that if it works well for you,
don't touch it!

Miguel

--
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivírus e
 acredita-se estar livre de perigo.