Mydoom Virus getting Through

Kyle Harris lists at TRCINTL.COM
Tue Feb 10 19:26:47 GMT 2004

I have been running MailScanner for quite some time and it has successfully
found literally thousands of e-mail's infected with the Mydoom virus, as
well as many others.  However, I have noticed that every now and then for
whatever reason one seems to slip through MailScanner.  The reason I know
this is that my mail is first scanned with MailScanner (using eTrust
Antivirus 7.0) and then it is sent on to another machine running TrendMicro
InterScan VirusWall (I had that in place before MailScanner).

On about 4 occasions since the outbreak of Mydoom, a copy of the virus has
made it through MailScanner undetected and has then been caught by the
TrendMicro product.  I had it happen several times already today.  I
checked the e-mail ID and I see in the log on MailScanner where it passed
through without a hitch.

I seem to recall someone posting something earlier about this occuring
while using the Sophos antivirus product.  I just thought this might be
something to take note of.  By the way, I am currently using MailScanner
version 4.26.8 and my virus signatures are up to date.  TrendMicro
InterScan VirusWall reports the e-mail messages in question as having
Mydoom.A.