For those of us that feel strongly that email should be a reliable transport medium.

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Feb 10 18:31:10 GMT 2004

At 18:09 10/02/2004, you wrote:
>At 12:13 PM 2/10/2004, you wrote:
>>I appreciate your point, and I am aware of your position. But bouncing spam
>>is not the correct answer to it, there are many other superior solutions to
>>the problem, that don't cause grief to everyone else on the net.
>

>Julian, as opposed to "bouncing" a message, can we implement something to
>notify a sender politely that
>they *may* have sent an email to someone that did not get delivered and
>*IF* they do not know this person
>to disregard the message. I am very concerned that the bounce feature is
>removed. For those providers not wishing
>to guarantee some type of service to their clients, Tell your Backpone
>providers to also renig on the SLA you have with them.
>The reason we notify senders is not to be mean but as a responsibility to
>the clients we handle mail for. They intrust us with their mail.
>If for any reason a message cannot be delivered to someone, then the sender
>needs to know about this.  I am asking you to please have this option
>available for those who need it. Otherwise this breaks more than you are
>trying to fix. Email is an important form of communication in this day and
>age and ANY provider who tells their clients they cannot "guarantee"
>delivery of email to their inbox is
>simply irresponsible.

That is entirely down to your configuration. I guarantee to deliver every
piece of mail to my users' inboxes, and I don't use the bounce option.
Informing the (forged, 99.999% of the time) sender is a totally different
matter to delivering mail to their inbox. You simply tag the subject line
and use "Spam Actions = deliver". That way the recipient can quickly skip
through all the labelled spam, but they have the option to check all of it
is correctly tagged.

You are confusing these two processes. They are totally separate and unrelated.

My users would go through the roof if I didn't deliver every piece of mail
addressed to them. I do that, but I see no need to "bounce" spam.

--
Julian Field