Including original headers in reports

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Feb 10 18:03:40 GMT 2004

At 17:54 10/02/2004, you wrote:
>At 11:54 AM 2/10/2004, you wrote:
>Please can you do a compromise like this:
>>In MailScanner.conf, set
>>Required SpamAssassin Score = 6
>>High SpamAssassin Score = 10
>>Spam Actions = deliver bounce
>>High Scoring Spam Actions = deliver
>>That way low scoring (possibly marginal, possibly incorrectly tagged) spam
>>gets bounced back to the sender. But if you are sure it is spam (believe
>>me, a score of 10 will guarantee that!) then you don't bounce it.
>>
>>Fortunately, with the latest version, even this isn't an option as I have
>>removed the "bounce" spam action completely.
>>
>>If the message had a virus in it, then by default the recipient would still
>>get the message (with the virus removed) and so would know that the client
>>sent them an email.
>>--
>>Julian Field
>>www.MailScanner.info
>>MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their support
>>
>>PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC 7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654
>
>Well Julian, we already do this. If a message is off the chart, there is
>absolutely no sense in use bouncing it. That would be
>crazy.
>
>So in the latest version you've removed the bounce option? Ouch...

I believe there are better solutions to the problem, such as "deliver
attachment" or "notify" so the recipient makes the decision as to what to
do with the message.

I will only put the "bounce" option back in if there is an absolute outcry
about it, which there isn't. The outcry is for stopping people bouncing
spam as the sender address is always faked so some innocent soul gets
inundated with warning messages about stuff they never sent. I have to deal
with a lot of these people, as they contact me for help. This takes a fair
amount of my time, so I am strongly against anything that wastes my time.
You guys don't have to deal with the fallout from this option, I do!
--
Julian Field