Sophos missed MyDoom-A bounced msg

Travis Taylor 20020401 at DUH.NET
Mon Feb 9 16:44:58 GMT 2004

We are trying to figure out how an email slipped past MailScanner with
Sophos.  Symantec quarantined the message on the server when the user
checked her mail this morning.

The message was a bounce from a site that does not permit executables.

Here is the message recovered from the quarantine server:

Date: 6 Feb 2004 14:27:02 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON at mx07.futurequest.net
To: khays at newton.k12.ks.us
Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mx07.futurequest.net.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.

<ugaw at myparentime.com>:
No executable files accepted.
Message rejected 1076077622 pid 2773

From: khays at newton.k12.ks.us
To: ugaw at myparentime.com
Subject: Status
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 07:43:35 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0004_9E42CB75.1E93C406

[snip]

------=_NextPart_000_0004_9E42CB75.1E93C406

[snip]

------=_NextPart_000_0004_9E42CB75.1E93C406--

So far MailScanner has caught 1817 MyDoom-A virus, with the exception of
27 MyDoom infected messages that slipped through during the window
when the virus was released in the wild and before Sophos updated the
definitions, MailScanner and Sophos has caught everyone since until now.
Anyone got some ideas on what to check or how to verify this got
through?

Is this something we need to sent to Sophos?

Using RH 9, MailScanner v4.23-11, and Sophos v3.75

---
Travis Taylor, EMail Administrator
Newton Unified School District #373
Educational Technology Center