MailScanner high CPU usage

Mon Feb 9 10:34:17 GMT 2004

Adrian Voinea wrote:
> Hello, here's my problem:
>
> Sometimes, mailscanner uses a lot of cpu, for a long amount of time.
> The mail server's load average rises to ~13 and stays that way for a while.
> You can see the cpu hogs' activity in the strace output.
> (I searched for "shmat and umoven: Input/output error" on google and this
> error is obviously related to
> the high cpu usage:
> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=shmat+umoven+cpu)
>
> What do you think is wrong? Did anyone else encounter this problem?
>

> System configuration:
> Celeron 2.4
> 512 ram
> Kernel 2.4.23
> perl 5.6.1
> sendmail 8.12.11
> mailscanner 4.26.7, sa+bayes enabled
> spamassassin 2.63

Have you got RBL's setup in spamassassin? Also worth checking are the
numbers of messages you scan and one and the number of children you are
running.

mine are.. (on a 600mhz Celeron and 512MB ram)..
Max Children = 5
Max Unscanned Messages Per Scan = 20
Max Unsafe Messages Per Scan = 20

Also worth checking the SA settings to make sure the rules parse properly..

spamassassin -D --lint -C /opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

the system manager.