SA 2.63 upgrade

Peter Nitschke email at ace.net.au
Mon Feb 9 04:49:28 GMT 2004

Using the SRPM is an overlooked but easy way of doing upgrades reliably,
especially if you like to let the RPM system handle everything.

D/L the SRPM, you don't need the other bits.

rpm -Uvh spamassassin*.src.rpm
cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
rpmbuild -bb spamassassin.spec
cd ../RPMS/i386
rpm -Uvh *.rpm   (make sure there aren't other rpm's in there that you
don't want.

All done.  No need for CPAN and SpamaAssassin is now configured for your
system.

Peter

On 6/02/2004 at 6:06 PM Jim Dickenson wrote:

>Thanks for the pointer about old .cf files not working with a new version.
>This lead me to the solution.
>
>I will try to remember this for future updates and leave a trail for those
>behind me.
>
>The install from the RPM was the cause of the problem. I now remember
>dealing with this at some time in the past as well.
>
>The perl-Mail-SpamAssassin-2.63-1 RPM file put stuff in the 5.6.1
directory
>but I am running perl 5.8.0 so the new .cf files got installed but as the
>new perl stuff got put into the "wrong" place I was still using the old
>version of SA.
>
>Moving a bit of stuff around fixed the problem. I also made a link from
>5.6.1 to 5.8.0 so maybe I will remember this in the future.
>
>I guess the correct thing to do would be to uninstall the RPMs and install
>SA some other way. Maybe another day. One wasted day is enough this time
>around ;)
>
>Again thanks much!
>--
>Jim Dickenson
>mailto:dickenson at cfmc.com
>
>Computers for Marketing Corporation
>http://www.cfmc.com/
>

>> From: James Gray <james at grayonline.id.au>
>> Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 09:43:04 +1100
>> To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
>> Subject: Re: SA 2.63 upgrade
>>
>> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 07:16 am, Jim Dickenson wrote:
>>> I am seeing the same problem. I updated, as I have always done, via
RPM.
>>> What I am seeing is that none of the standard rules are getting
tripped,
>>> just the RulesDuJour additions I have installed.
>>>
>>> I originally had the RulesDuJour .cf file in /usr/share/spamassassin
>>> along with the ones distributed with SA. I have moved them to
>>> /etc/mail/spamassassin but I am still seeing the same behavior.
>>>
>>> I also see that all the stuff that is spam is being auto-learned in my
>>> bayes files. What is the best way to stop using bayes files and then
>>> creating new ones. I need to get this problem sorted out before I can
>try
>>> to get my bayes files loaded again.
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> --
>>> Jim Dickenson
>>
>> Jim,
>>
>> I posted a similar problem to this list a few weeks ago when I upgraded
>my
>> FreeBSD box via "ports" (fBSD "packages" for want of a better term).
All