Different score with SpamAssassin Alone

Rick Cooper rcooper at DIMENSION-FLM.COM
Sun Feb 8 00:31:07 GMT 2004

Hopefully someone will see/think something I have missed on this,
it's driving me up the wall..

I have been getting a lot of mail from the new SpamAssassin list
dumped into my spam box even though I had the list whitelisted. I
then wrote a custom rule that would look at the Return-path
header (since the from address could be some other address with a
cc to the list) and tested it with SA and all worked fine. But
when it runs through MailScanner (and I restarted MS several
times) it misses every single time. Below is a sample header
section of the last message that got tagged spam. Rules that are
in the same .cf file as the rule in question will have hits but
the RC_SA_LIST has not hit once, spam or ham. And every time I
run it on the same message in the SpamBox it gets dumped into (by
MailScanner delete forward  spam) it will hit the RC_SA_LIST
rule. (MailScanner Version 4.23-7 SA Version 2.63)

Message header:

Rule:

header RC_SA_LIST Return-path =~
/spamassassin-users-return-[0-9]{2,4}-MyUname=MyDomain\.com\@incu
bator\.apache\.org/i

Original Score from MailScanner (right out of the header)

required 5,
        AWL -5.91, CLICK_BELOW 0.00, FROM_HAS_MIXED_NUMS 0.30,
        FVGT_TRIPWIRE_FC 0.08, FVGT_TRIPWIRE_LQ 0.08,
FVGT_TRIPWIRE_LW 0.08,
        FVGT_TRIPWIRE_QC 0.08, FVGT_TRIPWIRE_WC 0.08,
FVGT_m_MULTI_ODD2 1.10,
        FVGT_m_MULTI_ODD3 1.10, FVGT_m_MULTI_ODD4 1.10,
        FVGT_m_MULTI_ODD5 1.10, HTML_40_50 0.47,
HTML_LINK_CLICK_HERE 0.10,
        HTML_MESSAGE 0.00, OACYS_m_MULTI_CONS4 3.00, RC_B_REGALIS
4.50,
        b_OBFU_QnoU 0.50)

Note that RC_B_REGALIS is in the same .cf file as RC_SA_LIST
        ,

Score running spamassassin directly:
(with the -p option or not, I have local.cf linked to
etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf)

FVGT_TRIPWIRE_LW,FVGT_TRIPWIRE_QC,FVGT_TRIPWIRE_WC,FVGT_m_MULTI_O
DD2,

FVGT_m_MULTI_ODD3,FVGT_m_MULTI_ODD4,FVGT_m_MULTI_ODD5,HTML_40_50,

HTML_LINK_CLICK_HERE,HTML_MESSAGE,OACYS_m_MULTI_CONS4,RC_B_REGALI
S,
        RC_SA_LIST,USER_IN_WHITELIST,b_OBFU_QnoU autolearn=no
version=2.63
 So when SA is called directly it hists the whitelist and the
custome RC_SA_LIST rule, but both are missed when MailScanner is
front-ending SA. I have not updated MailScanner as I don't want
to have to repatch Exim.pm, or reapply the custom logging code to
log the "To:" address(s), and truncate the SA return to 800
chars,  as I have not created a patch for that as of yet.

Any one have an idea?

Thanks

 Rick Cooper