Restricted Word List with MailScanner

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Thu Feb 5 16:24:59 GMT 2004

At 10:39 AM 2/5/2004, Jonathan Lampe wrote:
>Is there an easy way to use a restricted word list with MailScanner?
>
>(No, I don't want a "self-learning" Bayesian filter - I want a word list
>which into which I can put words which will always flag spam as spam.)

Although it's a bit of work, you can use/abuse SpamAssassin to do that..
it's overkill for the job, and probably not the simpliest thing to set up,
but it's possible.

Just set up MailScanner to use SA, disable bayes, awl, dnsbls and hack out
most of the SA rules.. replace them with rules that search for single rules
and apply huge point scores to each of those rules. As an added benefit,
you can search for any perl-regex you want, not just words.

If your MailScanner box does delivery, you could also use procmail as a MDA
and have a procmail script filter words.. That's the old-fashioned simple
way of doing it, and doesn't involve MailScanner at all per-se.