a ghost in filetype.rules.conf

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at BANGOR.AC.UK
Wed Feb 4 12:42:36 GMT 2004

Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
>    I've been scratching my head on this one for several versions
> of MailScanner now.  The head of our athletics dept (who uses a
> Mac) will send emails to other coaches, plain text.  Two coaches
> who reply (they use Windows) sporadically get their replies rejected
> with:
>
> No programs allowed (msg-8402-111.txt)
>                          ^^^^^^^^
>                          numbers differ

Bear in mind that the information MailScanner puts into reports is a
sanitised version that it generates from the actual attachment file
name. Julian's hightened state of paranoia made him cautious about the
possibility of a DoS or something in the actual filename. Check the mail
logs - I think the actual filename appears in there somewhere and that
may show up why it was blocked.

I've been bitten by this before!!

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed
Information Services               "Who do you say I am?"