relay score less the the require and identified as spam

Michele Neylon : Blacknight Solutions michele at BLACKNIGHTSOLUTIONS.COM
Sun Aug 29 14:50:46 IST 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 14:37 +0100, Julian Field wrote:
> >Don't block using SBL+XBL - you will get bitten.
>
> How often do you think it is a problem? I tag based on SBL+XBL and have
> never had any complaints.

A LOT of Irish and UK ISP ranges get in there on a regular basis, so we
had to stop blocking on it a few months ago - digging emails out of
quarantines can get to be tedious - and now score based on it, which
gives much more accurate results.

We are primarily a hosting company, but also offer email filtering
services to 3rd parties. It is unlikely that a corporate IP range will
be listed, but as a large proportion of both our clients and our
clients' clients are not using fixed IPs we see a lot of issues with
Esat, Eircom and other ISPs.
>From our point of view one false positive is one too many.
The Spamhaus listing criteria is not at fault, blocking based on it is
unfortunately.
If you score based on XBL/SBL you will not see a drop in your success
rate, as no one rule is going to push an email over the limit (or keep
it under it)

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
http://www.blacknight.ie