Mailscanner doesn't add charset when adding signature

Leif Neland mailscanner-user at NELAND.DK
Thu Aug 26 20:53:17 IST 2004

Julian Field <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:
> At 18:04 26/08/2004, you wrote:
>> On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 17:37, Julian Field wrote:
>>> I think so, yes. I only add the MIME-Version header if it isn't
>>> already there. So I could add the Content-Type header if there is
>>> no MIME-Version header. But unfortunately, what do I put for the
>>> MIME type? My email client displays a message as html even if there
>>> is just a "Content-Type: text/plain" header, or no Content-Type
>>> header at all. Not sure I can get all the information I need to do
>>> "the right thing". I can't add the charset unless I also set the
>>> MIME type, and I can't guess the MIME type if it isn't already
>>> there.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Well, you could use file -i on the message body, but I suspect that
>> isn't going to be as portable as one might hope.
>
> Not portable, and very slow :-(
> I need a portable, fast way of doing it. I don't want to look at the
> message body content at all.

Do as sendmail. Let the sysadm put a default value to be used when the
sender didn't put a charset in.

If the sysadm used the wrong charset at least the message will be delivered.
As it is now, the message ends up as an attachment if it is being sent to an
exchange-server.

So far I've only seen the problem with messages generated from applications,
e.g. mailing lists or webforms.

Leif