Mailscanner and server load

Thu Aug 26 09:20:15 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hi

you don't mention how many emails a day you are processing or what extra
SA rule you have (and whether using any RBL's in SA).

You also don't mention what "Max Children" setting you have - this can
have a big impact on load..

when you upgrade it will spike first of all as it's got all the backlog
to process.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

kfliong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Okay, I know the question about mailscanner and server load has been
> discussed before but i this seems to be a little different.
>
> My server specs is as below :
>
> Celeron 1.3GHz, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD, Redhat Linux 7.3, Ensim Pro 3.5.23
>
> MailScanner 4.32.5-1
> SpamAssassin 2.64
> MySql 3.23.58
> ClamAV 0.75
> MailWatch 0.5.1
> sendmail as MTA
>
> The problem is that after updating the packages, my server's load is very
> high. Before that it was around 3.5. After upgrade, it ran up to above 30
> for few 30 minutes before coming back down to around 3.0 now. I have not
> enabled SURBL yet. But the only reason i upgraded is to use SURBL. But now,
> since the load is kinda high, I am afraid to run SURBL (with SpamCopURI)
> which would definitely increase the load. I do not run DNS server locally.
> I am resolving DNS using my webhost's. Would that increase the load if I
> run SURBL?
>
> My question is, what can I do to lower the load? How much load would it
> reduce if I upgrade to 1GB RAM?
>
> What if I get another server dedicated in handling mails? This server would
> be used for websites. How would things work if I have 2 server? Anyone
> would give a simple guild to doing this? I know I would then need to run a
> DNS server which would route MX records to the 2nd server, right?
>
> Thanks in advance.

the system manager.