Cool SpamAss hold and deliver feature, can we implement that in MailScanner

Garry Glendown garry at GLENDOWN.DE
Thu Aug 26 07:25:38 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> One problem I see with the current quarantine is that you don't know which
> mail is for whom. So, the script has not only to excerpt relevant parts of
> the mail, but also the target. This involves a lot more processing and

I "fixed" that with a PHP script ... together with the
quarantine-information that MS sends to the recipient, I send a link to
the PHP script, identifying the mails by the date and the queue ID
(which should be relatively safe). That way, no additional
indentification is necessary ... In the web frontend, the user can just
click on the attachment (or the original queue file) to download it via
the browser ... works like a charm ...

Anyway, there have been requests of centrally storing recognized spam
mails instead of either delivering or deleting them, but at the moment
this would mean setting up an extra spam mailbox for every recipient
(which would be a problem with per-domain customers) ... just a thought,
not very well thought through yet:

If MS had an option "archive" that would store the queue files of a mail
in an extra directory (just like the quarantine), then add date, sender,
recipient and subject to a database table (like, e.g., MySQL; could even
be done by a shell call to allow for arbitrary backends, but that would
add to resource usage). A simple web frontend or script could then
generate an overview easily, and allow interactive downloads or
re-queues of the specified messages. Anything older than, say, 2 weeks
could be purged from the HD and the database, or when the user selects a
delete run. Authentication might be a problem, but the daily report run
could generate a session password if the recipient had not received one
before ...

I'd pitch in and do the web frontend and admin/cron backend, if somebody
took care of the perl programming changes for MS ;) Any takers?

-garry