Christian Schulte cs at SCHULTE.IT
Wed Aug 25 01:19:27 IST 2004

Leif Neland wrote:
> After using MailScanner to add an advert at the bottom of each message "this
> message is scanned for spam and virus by..."
> some recipients gets a message saying the message can't be read because it
> is in a non-supported charset, and one should save the attached message and
> read it in an editor which supports the charset. (I won't quote the message
> because it is in danish...)
>
> Can I somehow make sendmail pretend the message is in iso-8859-1 if not
> listed otherwise?

I think you want to put

define(`confSEVEN_BIT_INPUT', `false')dnl
define(`confEIGHT_BIT_HANDLING', `mime')dnl
define(`confDEF_CHAR_SET', `iso-8859-1')dnl

in your sendmail.mc.

should then become

                           ^^^^

This will of course lead to the client displaying wrong characters if
the 8 bit data is not encoded in DEF_CHAR_SET. Sendmail just adds
DEF_CHAR_SET charset definition for messages containing 8 bit data but
no charset definition and cannot do anything more about the 8 bit data.

Since this is a sendmail feature to workaround broken clients which do
not define the charset where they should your

> some recipients gets a message saying the message can't be read
> because it is in a non-supported charset, and one should save the
> attached message and read it in an editor which supports the charset.

problem could become a some recipient gets a message which the MUA does
not display correctly since sendmail told it to use iso-8859-1 but the
actual 8 bit message data is encoded in e.g. UTF-8 problem.

--
Christian Schulte