E-Mail Server giving too much information w/ Return Receipt Requests {Scanned}

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Fri Aug 20 13:30:00 IST 2004

MailScanner mailing list <> scribbled on Friday, August 20, 2004 12:11 AM:

> Hello,
>
> I just found out that if someone selects to be notified of an
> e-mail message delivery, that the mail server will send out a
> response back to the user with that user's e-mail address and
> if any aliases were setup, it will also the target e-mail
> address like the following:
>
> Subject: Return receipt
> The original message was received at Fri, 20 Aug 2004
> 01:06:24 -0400 from [68.166.149.62]
>
>    ----- The following addresses had successful delivery
> notifications ----- wppi at wppi.com  (successfully delivered to mailbox)
>     (expanded from: <stevewest15 at wppi.com>)
>
>    ----- Transcript of session follows ----- wppi at wppi.com...
> Successfully delivered
> Is there any way to block our mail server from sending out
> this information back?

If your MTA is sendmail, this will do the trick in your sendmail.mc:

define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS',
`goaway,noreceipts,nobodyreturn,restrictqrun')dnl

(the key being noreceipts)

Mike