Allowing .exe files in .zip files

Mark Nienberg mark at TIPPINGMAR.COM
Tue Aug 17 17:59:27 IST 2004

On 17 Aug 2004 at 9:45, Rob Poe wrote:
> But I found that setting wasn't double uncompressing .zip files (new
> viruses seem to be coming as double compressed .zip files)...

> On 16 Aug 2004 at 10:55, Renata D. Vieira wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if it is possible to configure MailScanner to allow
> .exe files compressed in .zip
> > files?
>
> You can configure MailScanner so it does not enforce filename checks on
> files that are compresed in zipfiles.
>
> # The maximum depth to which zip archives will be unpacked, to allow for
> # checking filenames and filetypes within zip archives.
> # To disable this feature set this to 0.
> # A common useful setting is this option = 0, and Allow Password-Protected
> # Archives = no. That block password-protected archives but does not do
> # any filename/filetype checks on the files within the archive.
> Maximum Archive Depth = 0

I know Julian fixed something related to this in the current release.  Perhaps it was
the problem you mention.  In our case, even using an older version (I have since
upgraded) we caught double zipped viruses, but perhaps that is because we use
Sophos and it looks inside zip files even without help from MailScanner.
--
Mark W. Nienberg, SE
Tipping Mar + associates