Older Archive Zip

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Mon Aug 16 15:46:38 IST 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Robin, Rob wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>         BSDi 4.2 (planned to migrate to linux soon), Perl 5.005_03.
>         For the Archive-Zip1.12, my compilation always failed at
>
> ----
> t/testUpdate........Use of uninitialized value at /usr/libdata/perl5/5.00503/Test.pm line 68.
> Use of uninitialized value at /usr/libdata/perl5/5.00503/Test.pm line 68.
> Use of uninitialized value at /usr/libdata/perl5/5.00503/Test.pm line 68.
> Use of uninitialized value at /usr/libdata/perl5/5.00503/Test.pm line 68.
> ok
> t/testex............Can't call method "print" on unblessed reference at blib/lib/Archive/Zip.pm line 1862.
> FAILED test 14
>         Failed 1/15 tests, 93.33% okay
> ----

Sorry for the delay in replying (holiday; just back today).

This was an issue I also spotted about a month ago (in my case, Solaris 8
with a similar version of perl).

I raised the issue with the maintainer of Archive::Zip and with Julian,
off-list.  To cut a long story short, the problem is recognised, and the
fix is known and included in a test version (1.12_03) of A::Z.

However, with various holidays, with Julian having been away, and with
this problem being relatively rare, etc., it was agreed to distribute the
new MS version with A::Z 1.12 (and its known, low frequency problem)
rather than risk a largely untested 1.12_03 .

(We have been running the fractionally earlier 1.12_02 in production for
over two weeks on systems totalling around 1million emails/week.)

Now that I'm back, I'll try to chase it up, and report back.

>         I searched online for a while, etc. I couldn't find any work
> arounds that work. Archive Zip 1.12 is pretty new. I know it's 93.33%
> okay, but that just bugged me a bit. Since 1.12 is pretty new (July
> 2004), and their test listing is not as complete as it can be.

Testing requires real folk, such as you and me!  Would you be able to test
a version?