MailScanner Cause server load high

James Hsieh james at 080.NET
Sat Aug 14 18:43:21 IST 2004

<x-html>
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=big5">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>Hi!</DIV>
<DIV>One of our servers got very huge server loading today, I spent 1 hour and
found it's cause by MailScanner because one of users of this server got "catch
all" email box and his domain got a lot of spam, every second spam from
everywhere comes in his emails cause the email is "catch all" means <A
href="mailto:no-real-name at domain.com">no-real-name at domain.com</A> will also
arrive successfully to his box, and every time, mailscanner has to spend time on
each email.</DIV>
<DIV>After I shutdown his "catch all" function, the loading went down right away
from 90 to 0.9 on this P4 3.0 box.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>What my question is, I found this problem by "guessing", and I hope one of
you guys can tell me if I need to find out those emails coming in right this
moment is goes to where, what should I do ?&nbsp; (I am using a whitebox Linux
with Cpanel )</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regards,</DIV>