"can't find EOCD signature" error message

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at YORK.AC.UK
Fri Aug 13 11:40:06 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Greetings -

I'm doing some Serious Playing on my development mail gateway and have:

    MailScanner     4.32.5
    ClamAV          0.75.1
    Mail::ClamAV    0.11

(The latter two are the new things I'm playing with.)

I've just had MailScanner running in debug mode and sent it 8
virus-infected messages I keep around for this purpose.  (Let me emphasise
that this is a DEVELOPMENT server, used for TESTING!)

The scannerlog shows MailScanner detecting the viruses with both the
clamavmodule and Sophos.  However entries for the batch of messages ends
with this in the scannerlog:

    INFO:: Meaningless output that goes nowhere, to keep SAVI happy
    format error: can't find EOCD signature
     at /opt/york/MailScanner-4.32.5/bin/MailScanner line 479
    Stopping now as you are debugging me.
    [OK]

I've tried Googling for "can't find EOCD signature" and found a small
number of matches, pointing the finger of suspicion at Archive::Zip

The comments seem to suggest there used to be a problem in this area, but
was fixed around version 0.11 of Archive::Zip.  (I have 0.12 installed)

Does anyone know anything about this?
And should I be concerned about getting such a log entry?
    (I'm suspecting not, as other comments suggest it can be given when an
    invalid Zip archive is processed ... and I guess this is possible if it
    was produced by a virus?)

Cheers,

Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *