OT: Stopping sendmail from allowing external hosts to use local email addresses

Peter Peters p.g.m.peters at utwente.nl
Fri Aug 13 08:31:54 IST 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:11:35 +0200, you wrote:

>As per my subject, can anyone point me to some documentation on how to
>achieve this in sendmail ie: If a most likely virus infected host tries
>to send a mail using someuser at mydomain.co.za to
>someotheruser at mydomain.co.za and that host is not one of a set of
>predefined hosts, is there a way to reject it?

You are looking for a way to prevent address forgeries. You could have a
look at SPF. Google for "sendmail spf" and "sendmail libspf". You need
at least sendmail 8.13 I believe.

And check out the newsgroup comp.mail.sendmail.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)