SURBL installation

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Fri Aug 6 16:58:26 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 05:26 PM 8/5/2004, Peter Bonivart wrote:
>3. In the list of files to remove you mention antidrug.cf. I don't think
>that is included in SURBL. Matt Kettler explained to me that it can't be
>either since it's using such complex RE that the zone file would be huge.

This is correct, antidrug is not included in surbl. It *is* however
included in SA 3.0, so anyone upgrading to SA 3.0 should drop use of antidrug.

And actually, the biggest problem isn't the zone file size, it's that it's
a completely inappropriate technology to start with.

It's like suggesting using Bind as your MTA, or using a Ford F150 as a
calculator. It doesn't even begin to make practical sense.

Sure, you can do addition using a F150 by putting rocks in the bed and then
counting them all.. but that's so inefficient as to be absurd and you'd
think an accountant actually doing it that way was completely mad.

SURBL is a website URL blacklist based on DNS queries. Antidrug has nothing
to do with websites at all, it's body-text based. Complete apples and
oranges universes.

Yes, antidrug would be a couple-hundred terrabytes if converted to a flat
zonefile, but there are worse problems ahead of you even if you did convert it.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
</x-flowed>