zlib dependency problem

Mariano Absatz el.baby at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 5 14:53:01 IST 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:08:19 -0400, John Lundin <lundin at cavtel.net> wrote:
> A problem with the mailscanner-4.32.5-1 installation script (and
> probably earlier). Red Hat RPM install, onto Fedora Core 2.
>
> If Compress::Zlib is installed from CPAN and Archive::Zip is not
> installed, then the following scenario unfolds:
>
> >Oh good, module Compress::Zlib version 1.33 is already installed.
> >Attempting to build and install perl-Archive-Zip-1.12-1
>
> And it builds, since Compress::Zlib is present, but then:
>
> >error: Failed dependencies:
> >        perl(Compress::Zlib) is needed by perl-Archive-Zip-1.12-1
>
> Archive::Zip never installs, as the needed RPM db entry is missing.
>
> MailScanner itself then happily builds and installs, but when it tries
> to run it trips over its shoelaces:
>
> >MailScanner:       Can't locate Archive/Zip.pm in @INC [...]
>
> A quick workaround is to compile Compress::Zlib and re-install:
>
> rpmbuild --rebuild perl-Compress-Zlib-1.33-2.src.rpm
> rpm -Uvh \
>   /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/perl-Compress-Zlib-1.33-2.i386.rpm \
>   /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/noarch/perl-Archive-Zip-1.12-1.noarch.rpm

FWIW, I'v ALWAYS had problems mixing CPAN or manually built perl
modules with rpm installed perl modules...

My current (imperfect) solution is to not use CPAN directly, but
download the modules and then use perl2rpm
(http://trific.ath.cx/resources/perl2rpm/)to build an rpm package of
the downloaded module and then install the rpm...

I have had a few problems, but it mostly works... (note: I don't know
a thing about building rpm packages or spec files).

--
Mariano Absatz - El Baby
el (dot) baby (AT) gmail (dot) com

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk