MTA preferences for use with MailScanner

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at RFA.ORG
Tue Aug 3 23:42:24 IST 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 02:27:54AM +0100, Richard Bourque wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 03:33:12 +0100, Julian Field
> <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:
> >At 15:45 29/07/2004, you wrote:
> >>However, it works for me, so what can I say.
> >Precisely.
> >As you may have gathered, there is no love lost between me and Wietse. But
> >then again, from what I have heard from some of his previous colleagues,
> >I'm not the only person in that situation :-)
> >Julian Field
> <snip>
> After reading some of Weitz's comments about MailScanner 6-7 months ago I
> dumped a perfectly working Postfix/MailScanner installation and switched to
> Exim/MailScanner, even though it has been running for almost a year without
> a single problem.
> I made the change on principle.  I feel safer using Exim because I get the
> impression Philip Hazel would assist Julian (and vice versa) if there ever
> were any problems, but I feel Weitz doesn't want any 3rd party apps to work
> with Postfix at all and would hinder development as a whole for the MTA
> community.

I don't agree with Weitse's position regarding postfix w/mailscanner.
(Not that I would presume to argue with him personally on it.)

But, I think this statement is not entirely fair. Postfix is designed in
a very modular fashion with the intention that each piece could
potentially be replaced with a different implementation. As far as I
know Weitse has no problem with the amavisd approach, so saying he is
against 3rd party apps interacting with postfix is not correct. His beef
with Julian's approach is that Julian chooses to interact with the
filesystem rather than with some piece of the postfix system.

That said, I switched from postfix+amavisd to postfix+mailscanner a year
ago because MailScanner is better for a variety of reasons, IMVHO. I
haven't looked back and I haven't run into any good enough reasons to
switch MTA's. We do 30-40k messages/day on a 1.3GHz athlon
w/MS+SA+sophosSAVI+mcafee without issues.

-Eric

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk