dccifd / greylisting problems

Mariano Absatz el.baby at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 3 16:08:25 IST 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:46:57 -0500, Smart,Dan <smartd at vmcmail.com> wrote:
> PMJI:
> The negative of greylisting is that some "legit" mail servers may give up
> after one attempt.  These will need to be whitelisted to bypass greylisting.
>
> Also, there is a long discussion on DCC list on functionality, and it
> appears that an initial denial of 1 - 3 minute(s) is sufficient to stop most
> Spam senders, who send once then forget.  Most users would not see this
> delay.  Whitelisting will still be an issue for broken sites.
>
> Greylisting needs to run at the mail MTA, so that messages get blocked
> *before* they are accepted by your mail MTA.  That's the whole idea... Block
> messages once before accepting them the second time.
>
> Each message records a tuple in DCC:  The sender, recipient, and IP address
> of sending MTA.  After being saved the first time, every time this recorded
> tuple is seen, the message gets delivered immediately. The tuples have a
> time-to-live, and will expire off the DCC server eventually.
>
> <<Dan>>

Anyway... greylisting CAN NOT work within MailScanner. Graylisting has
to be done during the incoming SMTP dialog and must choose to accept
or temporarily reject (errcode 4XX) a given SMTP transaction.

MailScanner runs AFTER the SMTP transaction is over so there's no way
that you can do graylisting within it.

Maybe it could be implemented in a milter for sendmail, I dunno.

--
Mariano Absatz - El Baby
el (dot) baby (AT) gmail (dot) com

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk