Licenses

greyhair greyhair at GREYHAIR.NET
Mon Aug 2 06:11:46 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
JT,

Licenses:
Read the license agreements carefully for the product you think is
correct for your application.  Res' point is a good one that could
lead to a bad situation... your are only scanning a file, you use a
3rd party program to automate the process (MailScanner).  You are
not relying on (trusting?) the AntiVirus vendor to "real time" scan
the emails (also files).

If it is not clearly stated in the license agreement that 3rd party
programs to automate the scan process are forbidden then you have a
leg to stand on in court.  The problem is that it is VERY expensive
to go to court.

My advice is talk to the AntiVirus vendors and ask them if it is ok
to use a MailScanner to invoke the command line scanner to reduce
overall operation cost.

It all comes down to what you feel is ethical, moral and just.

ClamAV:
Install it anyway! What would it hurt... it is FREE.  I do
understand your position.  I, you and most of this mailing list
understands that ClamAV is a superior piece of software.  How do you
explain Free software to someone who learned the economic principle
"nothing is free.."?

You cant just say to the customer or boss," You are an uninformed
idiot, let me do my job," without putting your paycheck in jeopardy!

greyhair

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
</x-flowed>