Licenses

Res res at AUSICS.NET
Mon Aug 2 01:21:05 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, JT wrote:

> Although that's very nice software, that's not an option, commercial anti-
> virus scanners are required by most custommers.

Why should they care? the point of matter is a Virus Scanenr to do the
job, something ClamAv does.

When you point out its free and has free updates for as far as the future
can see, its saves them money, the license fee some of these companies
want is absolutely beyond any joke, I mean 5$ mail box, might be fine in a
ma and pa office, but stick it in  a corporation with 30000 users, even
the licenses for 10K users etc are almost likened to criminal by some
vendors.
For  instance f-prot has a certain version of their linux scanner for
free, the same scan engine in the scanner for even a small company will
cost thousands....

Other vendora claim if you are scanning mail you must buy their mailserver
license, even if like you said all it's dong is scnaning a file which
MailScanner has already created from a mmail message, you can even use it
according to some vendors with their fileserver version, why? especially
when their mailscanner license is multiple times the fileserver license
*sigh*

As MailScanner extracts and (creates?) the file to be scanned and all we
are doin is calling the virus scanner, so technically the fileserver
scanner is only scanning a file, not an email, it would be a very good
test case in a court somewhere :)

--
Regards,
Res