Licenses

John Hinton webmaster at EW3D.COM
Sun Aug 1 20:38:51 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
JT wrote:

>Although that's very nice software, that's not an option, commercial anti-
>virus scanners are required by most custommers.
>
>Thanks
>
>-------------------------- MailScanner list ----------------------
>To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
>Before posting, please see the Most Asked Questions at
>http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives at
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html

Hmm... how brainwashed and sad. ClamAV was rated number 4 in speed of
updates for new sigs in the last independent test I read (page is gone
now). Norton was much slower. But, each to their own. As an open source
project, it should excel above all but maybe the very best like f-secure.

So, I guess these same clients demand all commercial products, so why
MailScanner (non-commercial open source)? Why would they rely on a
non-commercial product to run a commercial product? And are you by any
chance on an open source OS?

I can tell you I have several users monotoring the email through our
system for viruses, and after a few months and thousands of emails to
them, not one has found a virus that ClamAV has missed. I'm impressed.
The beauty of it is the whole community has the ability to submit
viruses and that group is getting very large. Much larger than the staff
at any commercial AV company. As I see it, as AV open source programs
like ClamAV get more widely used, it will only get to be an even better
product with blindingly fast updates.

Not trying to start a war here or anything... just trying to make an
interesting point.

John Hinton

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
</x-flowed>