ClamAV.pm won't "make"

Thad A. Thompson thad at THADCO.COM
Fri Apr 30 18:51:25 IST 2004

Thanks Kevin,

Now I know not to edit my Makefile like that. :)

I will try the commandline scan over the weekend.

And thanks too for the heads-up on the devel libraries. Obviously I am still
learning and that will no doubt help avoid many future foibles.

Thad

-----Original Message-----
Of Kevin Spicer
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 2:00 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: ClamAV.pm won't "make"

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 04:59, Thad A. Thompson wrote:
> And edited the Makefile by removing all the references to -lbz2.
>
> This allowed me to Make and Install from within the directory. Not really
> sure if that was the right thing to do or not, but I got no errors.

No, that was the wrong thing to do.  You've compiled a binary that will
attempt to call functions it is not linked against.

>  I will
> have to go with the milter daemon of clam unless someone has a further
> suggestion.

Two further suggestions...
1) You don't need to use the clamavmodule, you can just use the plain
clamav commandline program (by setting Virus Scanners = clamav), the
performance isn't vastly worse (not like the Sophos / SAVI difference)
and you get the benefit of being able to use external unpackers which I
don't think the module does (although I could be wrong on that last
point)
2) You should be able to compile okay if you actually install the -devel
rpm.  The {libname} rpm only contains the dynamic libs neded by programs
at runtime, the {libname}-devel rpm contains the header files needed to
compile/link programs and static libraries in case you need to compile a
statically linked binary.  You must have the {libname}-devel package
installed for any library you need to link against.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk