MailScanner.conf size

Stephe Campbell campbell at CNPAPERS.COM
Thu Apr 29 20:33:43 IST 2004

I, for one, would like to see a table of all of the configuration options,
along with a short description of what each does, and how and if other
options affect that option. (Much like that one that Mr. Field provided for
the Allow .... Tags section in the recent MailScanner.conf file).

Now I realize that the file itself is very informational, but it has grown
very large. Most options do not affect others and could stand alone as far
as affecting other options. This table (perhaps a web page somewhere) would
allow for easy changes as new options become available, thus making the conf
file stand as is. By being able to scan options without the comments above
them (which sometimes hides the option itself) and seeing what it controls,
one could scan the conf file and read the comments for a better explanation.

Just my 2 pennies on the street.

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com
Charleston Newspapers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ugo Bellavance" <ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM>
To: <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 2:50 PM
Subject: Re: MailScanner.conf size (was Re: Full spamassassin report in
header?)

Mariano Absatz wrote:

> El 29 Apr 2004 a las 13:48, Ugo Bellavance escribió:
>

>>I agree that one wan't really obvious.  We sometimes forget how big
>>MailScanner.conf is :).
>>
>>But I undertsand Michael, there is many people that come here and post
>>to the list without making an effort.  It looks it wasn't your case.
Sorry.

> Hi,
>
> I think we reached a point where MailScanner.conf is a complete beast...
> Julian is so kind to add every little thing we ask for, that a file I once
> read and was able to understand about 80% of it being a newbie, is now
really
> tiresome to browse and find something, even if I'm no longer a newbie.
>
> I know that because I prefer not to use 'upgrade_MailScanner_conf', or run
it
> on a copy of MailScanner.conf and then manually check the settings,
> especially the new ones... I re-read Julian's comments every now and then
> 'cause they're also upgraded, even on old settings, and that is something
> upgrade_MailScanner_conf can't handle.
>
> IIRC, once I asked if there was a way to use something like 'include' in
> MailScanner.conf... at that time, I wanted to have most of
MailScanner.conf
> in there and include a tiny file that I'd let a sysadmin edit... alas,
that
> was not possible.
>
> Now I think it might be a good idea to have some include mechanism and
break
> MailScanner.conf into different parts (I know... this can easily lead to a
> flame war about the parts, but anyway, here I go).

Hmmm.  As long as it is not a default setting,I agree on the fact that
it might be nice for some people.  However, it might make support harder
if you don't have the settings in the same file as other people.

> I think that, for historical reasons, parts of the configuration that are
> somehow related are spread all over, and should be closer.

I do agree on this one, I think it should be done before your 1st
suggestion.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk