MailScanner.conf size (was Re: Full spamassassin report in header?)

Mariano Absatz mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR
Thu Apr 29 19:32:58 IST 2004

El 29 Apr 2004 a las 13:48, Ugo Bellavance escribió:

> I agree that one wan't really obvious.  We sometimes forget how big
> MailScanner.conf is :).
>
> But I undertsand Michael, there is many people that come here and post
> to the list without making an effort.  It looks it wasn't your case.  Sorry.

Hi,

I think we reached a point where MailScanner.conf is a complete beast...
Julian is so kind to add every little thing we ask for, that a file I once
read and was able to understand about 80% of it being a newbie, is now really
tiresome to browse and find something, even if I'm no longer a newbie.

I know that because I prefer not to use 'upgrade_MailScanner_conf', or run it
on a copy of MailScanner.conf and then manually check the settings,
especially the new ones... I re-read Julian's comments every now and then
'cause they're also upgraded, even on old settings, and that is something
upgrade_MailScanner_conf can't handle.

IIRC, once I asked if there was a way to use something like 'include' in
MailScanner.conf... at that time, I wanted to have most of MailScanner.conf
in there and include a tiny file that I'd let a sysadmin edit... alas, that
was not possible.

Now I think it might be a good idea to have some include mechanism and break
MailScanner.conf into different parts (I know... this can easily lead to a
flame war about the parts, but anyway, here I go).

I think that, for historical reasons, parts of the configuration that are
somehow related are spread all over, and should be closer.

I'd like to have all vulnerabilities processing options together, and near
the virus scanner options, and the like...

Do you think this might be possible?... I don't consider myself capable of re-
writing the configuration processing engine, but if someone can do it, I'd be
glad to throw some ideas... It'd be a good time to allow some kind of
'CustomOptions' that may allow to configure customizations in the config
files and NOT within the CustomFunctions...

Regards.

--
Mariano Absatz
El Baby

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
For further info about MailScanner, please see the Most Asked
Questions at    http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives
at    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html