Last few questions before I go live...

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Wed Apr 28 23:38:40 IST 2004

Jason Williams wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> Im getting ready to go live here with my first mailscanner. I have a
> mix of
> excitement and nervousness. :)
>
> Just wanted to ask a few last questions, see if I can clear up a few
> things
> as well as tweak my settings.
>
> As far as viruses are concerned, anytime MS detects any viruses in
> email, I
> just wanted to have MS completely delete it. No need in delivering at
> all.
> I'm stil debating on the following and was hoping for some feedback:
>
> - do most people here have emails sent to postmaster when MS receives a
> virus in a email?
>
> - do most people here want their users to receive a email when a intended
> email for them contained a virus?
>
> I know for the first couple of days, weeks for that matter, it will be
> time
> to monitor, tune and tweak the system. But im hoping to not run into any
> significant problems if possible.
>
> Currently, i've been sending emails through the MS server, both a
> combination of viruses (eicar) as well as test spam (GTUBE). It is
> working
> well, as far as I can see. But im looking to try and 'blast' the server
> with quite a few emails at once, to see how the server reacts. Anyone
> have
> a recommendation for that?
>
> Lastly, I wanted to keep track of stats, that will include a variet of
> things. I want virus statistics as well as spam statistics to be included
> as well. Any recommendations on a setup for that?
>
> I appreciate the help. I look forward to rolling out my server.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jason

> For further info about MailScanner, please see the Most Asked
> Questions at    http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives
> at    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html

This is a  great test and will score 5+ in spamassassin, if you use the
inbuilt subject
http://hyvatti.iki.fi/~jaakko/spam/unkillable.txt

also, may i suggest you do not use the delete action at all for the
first month - always use store instead, you can clear the quarantine
later once you are positive its deletable - wouldnt be a good look to
have been accidently deleting good email due to mis config during your
first outing.

Defintely you will want to check out mailwatch, its at sourceforge and
LOADS of us use it for stats etc

Remember when you first go live, stopping spam and viruses si NOT your
first priority, routing mail is - so turn on all your spam detection and
but just ahve deliver or deliver and store turned on while you tune it
up for the first few hours and then start performing actions ?

Good luck - and remember when you get stuck
1. RTFM
2. Google
3. Search the mail list archives
4 Post in the list.