OT: Re: burned by spamcop, how to whitelist sites from RBL's

Dustin Baer dustin.baer at IHS.COM
Wed Apr 28 19:54:16 IST 2004

"Jeff A. Earickson" wrote:

> Dustin,
>    That was the first thing I thought of.  I stuck the IP number
> in my access file, eg
>
> 139.140.14.83   OK
>
> This didn't work.  Then I tried:
>
> Spam:bowdoin.edu        FRIEND
>
> and various permutations of this.  Yes, I did makemap.  The DNSBL
> rulesets always killed the emails first.  Searching on the net
> revealed that running your own whitelist in front of the RBLs
> seems to be the only workaround.

Jeff,

Out of curiosity, do you have:

        FEATURE(`delay_checks', `friend')dnl

in your mc file?  "friend" is an optional argument.  If I remember
correctly, "delay_checks" delays the check_relay (checking the IP
address) rule until the check_rcpt rule is called.  Since check_relay is
called first, then if you don't have the delay_checks FEATURE, your
access map won't be looked at before the email is rejected.

Dustin

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
For further info about MailScanner, please see the Most Asked
Questions at    http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives
at    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html