High Load

Ken Anderson (Pacific Internet) ka at PACIFIC.NET
Wed Apr 28 17:40:01 IST 2004

Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:

> Hi!
>

>>>Like someone said before on the list, its no art to simply block and
>>>reject mail, its art to get the right ones through.
>>
>>I'd agree, but I think it's worth mentioning that some lists are more
>>reliable than others. sbl+xbl for example doesn't seem to misfire,
>>whereas spamcop will routinely list some ISP mailservers.
>>
>>If the 'high load' is _really_ a problem, you can block/reject in
>>sendmail using sbl-xbl and see about a 30-40% decrease in spam right off
>>the top, with very few FPs. This reduces the load on MS/SA substantially.
>

> If i would have to block in MTA i would pick DSBL not spamhaus...

That reminds me....
I've also found it helpful (especially if you host websites, colos) to
check all of your own IPs (and your neighbors) against the major rbls
with a cron job, since it's very easy to get listed if your customers
install an old version of formmail.pl or some other spammer friendly
script.

Ken A

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk