troubleshooting mailscanner?

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Mon Apr 26 19:02:15 IST 2004

Chris Connell wrote:
> Our email gateway was bombarded with spam etc last night. So now I have 40k
> mails or so in the mailscanner queue. When I start mailscanner it is just
> sitting there doing nothing ie
>
> Apr 26 11:41:12 ns1 MailScanner[277]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner
> version 4.29.7 starting...
> Apr 26 11:41:12 ns1 MailScanner[277]: Using Custom Function file
> /opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MyExample.pm
> Apr 26 11:41:13 ns1 MailScanner[277]: Using locktype = flock
>

> Before it was processing the messages 30 at a time but has just stopped now.
> I have a feeling there is a certain mail in the queue which is stopping it
> from processing. Any ideas please? My platform is sun ultra5 solaris9.

40k messages on a Ultra 5 sounds like a heavy load. Maybe you have a
problem to stat the incoming directory. Try moving all files from the
directory, start up MS and then move the files in like a 1000 a time or
so. You must move them in pairs of course (qf and df).

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun

Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.10, MailScanner 4.29.7,
SpamAssassin 2.63 + DCC 1.2.39, ClamAV 0.70 + GMP 4.1.2, Vispan 1.3

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
For further info about MailScanner, please see the Most Asked
Questions at    http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives
at    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html