Logs vs. headers

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Mon Apr 26 17:02:34 IST 2004

David Lee wrote:
> But it is nevertheless unusual, isn't it?  Might it be unusual enough
> to warrant MS at least issuing a friendly warning-like (non-fatal)
> advisory diagnostic of some sort?  That the email administrator might
> wish to consider avoiding the "." in such MS-inserted headers?
> (Hinting and helping folk towards the wise Internet code-of-conduct
> of being "conservative in what you send" etc.)

I think the issue is perception, people (especially non technical managers who 'trust' Symantec) are likely to see that it was a header added by MailScanner that caused the trouble and therefore blame MailScanner (unfairly IMO).  I think coding a warning is probably a bit overkill (who to warn, how to warn, is it worth not starting MS because of etc.).  Perhaps the simple expedient of running the headers past a substitute expression (such as s/\W/-/g) at the point they are read from the config would suffice?
The gentoo ebuild being worked on creates the org-name on install by using the dns domain with the periods replaced with hyphens.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
For further info about MailScanner, please see the Most Asked
Questions at    http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives
at    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html