troubleshooting mailscanner

Mon Apr 26 12:11:00 IST 2004

Chris

in the MailScanner.conf there's a debug option you can turn on (one for
SA too).

turn this on. Stop MailScanner and run
/opt/MailScanner/bin/check_mailscanner and will dump debug at you to
figure out what's happening..

Also worth checking the followingin MailScanner.conf isn't set too high..

# If more messages are found in the queue than this, then switch to an
# "accelerated" mode of processing messages. This will cause it to stop
# scanning messages in strict date order, but in the order it finds them
# in the queue. If your queue is bigger than this size a lot of the time,
# then some messages could be greatly delayed. So treat this option as
# "in emergency only".
Max Normal Queue Size = 1000

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Chris Connell wrote:
> Our email gateway was bombarded with spam etc last night. So now I have 40k
> mails or so in the mailscanner queue. When I start mailscanner it is just
> sitting there doing nothing ie
>
> Apr 26 11:41:12 ns1 MailScanner[277]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner
> version 4.29.7 starting...
> Apr 26 11:41:12 ns1 MailScanner[277]: Using Custom Function file
> /opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MyExample.pm
> Apr 26 11:41:13 ns1 MailScanner[277]: Using locktype = flock
>

> Before it was processing the messages 30 at a time but has just stopped now.
> Any ideas please? My platform is sun ultra5 solaris9.
>
> Thanks
> Chris
>

> This communication is from IS Solutions Plc, Windmill House, 91-93 Windmill
> Road, Sunbury on Thames, Middlesex, England. This email (including any
> attachments) is intended only for the recipient(s) named above. It may
> contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please do not read, distribute, copy or otherwise use this
> communication or the information in it. Any views or opinions expressed in
> this email may be solely those of the author and are not necessarily those
> of IS Solutions Plc. Any pricing quoted in this email is offered to the
> recipient on a best estimate time and materials basis only. If you have
> received this communication in error, please notify us by email
> (helpdesk at issolutions.co.uk) or by telephone (+44 (0)1932 893444) and then
> delete the email and any copies of it.

> For further info about MailScanner, please see the Most Asked
> Questions at    http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives
> at    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html

the system manager.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk