Major Load please help

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Fri Apr 23 18:53:47 IST 2004

Kevin Spicer wrote:
> On name resolution, you need a caching nameserver as others have pointed
> out.  I've also heard of performance problems in the past caused by the
> name service cache daemon (nscd) on Solaris.  It may be worth disabling
> it once you have a caching nameserver in place [I don't think this
> causes problems, but I'd suggest testing on another system or at least
> googling for advice, as I'm speaking from memory]

I agree, if you already run BIND on it you're better off with it as a
caching nameserver than using nscd which has had problems in the past. I
don't know of any currently and I run it myself with no problems at all
though. I assume your system is patched with a recent recommended patch
cluster?

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun

Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.10, MailScanner 4.29.7,
SpamAssassin 2.63 + DCC 1.2.39, ClamAV 0.70 + GMP 4.1.2, Vispan 1.3

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
For further info about MailScanner, please see the Most Asked
Questions at    http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives
at    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html