Major Load please help

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Fri Apr 23 15:47:43 IST 2004

Vicchiullo, Rob wrote:
> I am really need some help on this, so please any and all give advice.
> I am running a sun enterprise with quad 450s and 2 gigs of ram running
> Solaris 8.
> MailScanner 4.29.7
> SpamAssassin 2.63
>
> This mail server gets roughly 60,000 to 70,000 emails a day.
> My problem is this, the load on the box is just insane and the queue
> gets backed up.
> When spamassassin is on the load goes to around 18-20 with it if its
> stays around 8-12.
> Is there anything I may be missing to alleviate this.
> I already Have Mailscanners Incoming in the /tmp dir (basically in
> memory).
> I've looked through the list and did everything that is said to do,
> which are real basic things.

Have you isolated the problem? I/O (using vmstat), memory (free),
network (do you have a local dns caching nameserver).

Do you have errors or timeouts inyour logs?

Did you test mailscanner and spamassassin in debug?
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/252.html

you can check here http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/#optimize

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk