debian + exim

Desai, Jason jase at SENSIS.COM
Fri Apr 23 13:33:32 IST 2004

I'm not sure if this is how everyone else is doing it ... But I'm using
Debian Woody, and for Exim, I use backported packages from:

deb http://www.logic.univie.ac.at/~ametzler/debian/gnutls/ woody/
deb http://www.logic.univie.ac.at/~ametzler/debian/exim4manpages/ woody/

I set up Exim to use template files in /etc/exim4/conf.d to generate the
main Exim config file.  So, I can make changed to / add files in there, and
when I'm all done, run update-exim4.conf to generate the config file.

Specific change for MailScanner:

Created /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/01_exim4-config_mailscanner_options with the
following content:

.ifdef MS_OUT
SPOOLDIR = /var/spool/exim.out
.else
SPOOLDIR = /var/spool/exim.in
queue_only = true
queue_only_override = false
.endif

I also changed options in /etc/default/exim4:

QUEUERUNNER='separate'
QUEUERUNNEROPTIONS='-DMS_OUT'

Run update-exim4.conf and then restart Exim.  For MailScanner, I installed
from the tar ball.  Relevant settings for MailScanner.conf for this setup:

Run As User = Debian-exim
Run As Group = Debian-exim
Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/exim.in/input
Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/exim.out/input
MTA = exim
Sendmail = /usr/lib/sendmail
Sendmail2 = /usr/sbin/exim4 -DMS_OUT

You'll need to make sure that the Queue Dirs are created and have the proper
permissions.  I think that's all you'll need to get it up and running.

Jason

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk