Postfix and Postfix.in

Jason Balicki kodak at FRONTIERHOMEMORTGAGE.COM
Fri Apr 23 02:23:52 IST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 18:37, Matt Krause wrote:
> I setup MailScanner according to the directions on the website and create
> /var/spool/postfix.in and /etc/postfix.in as well as /var/spool/postfix
> and /etc/postfix. Can someone tell me the difference between the two?  I
> assume that postfix.in is for all incoming mail and postfix is for all
> outgoing mail.  I seem to remember verifying this by using the
> always_bcc command in /etc/postfix.in/main.cf and recieving copies of all
> mail coming from an outside source, but not any copies of outgoing mail.
> When I added it to /etc/postfix/main.cf I recieved copies of all outgoing
> mail, but no incoming mail.  So I am close?

This is incorrect.  Think of it this way:

postfix.in is the queue MailScanner reads from and postfix
is the queue MailScanner writes to.

This holds true for both inbound and outbound mail (assuming
you use the same box for both).

All mail inbound FROM THE SYSTEMS POINT OF VIEW is shoved to
postfix.in (this includes mail you're sending away from your
domain and all mail sent TO your domain) then MS picks it up
from postfix.in, does its magic then places it in postfix
where the _program_ postfix picks it up and does its MTAly
bidness.

I hope that's clear.

--J(K)

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
For further info about MailScanner, please see the Most Asked
Questions at    http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives
at    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html