Sendmail w/ queue groups / Multiple queues

William Burns William.Burns at AEROFLEX.COM
Mon Apr 19 23:53:46 IST 2004

All:

Hi...
I've got a pre-existing sendmail mail server that's configured w/
queue-groups.
That means that without mailscanner, it's already got several mail spool
directories.
(The directories are sort-of in "parallel" as opposed to the mailscanner
queues that are in "series")

So... I'd like to be able to run mailscanner on this system but I can't
figure out how I'd configure mailscanner to use multiple inbound and
multiple outbound directories.
Does anyone know how to make that happen?

Rambling on:....
I could write a script that would pull mail spool files from several
directories, tag them w/names related the the directories that they came
from and then "stuff" them into one mqueue.in directory.
As for the outbound side...
Mailscanner is going to call sendmail directly, so maybe I *can't*
rename those files. Would sendmail have a problem w/ the fact that its
file names had been messed with?
Possibly I could store info elsewhere, telling me what directories each
spool file came from.
But... That doesn't help me get some BASH script to run *before*
mailscanner/sendmail attempts immediate delivery on an outbound spool file.
Maybe I could write this script to "un-pack" a mailscanner "out" queue,
but only for those queue files that mailscanner/sendmail didn't
successfully deliver on the first attempt...

Is this the right route to take, or is there a much simpler solution?

-Bill

P.S.

re: Sendmail w/ queue groups...
It's a useful feature + I don't want to turn it off.
It lets me get a quick visual on how well mail is getting delivered from
this machine to certain other critical mail servers.
(the mail-to-fax gateway, etc)
I'd think that queue-groups would be a desirable feature for
mailscanner/sendmail machines acting as gateways for multiple mail-box
servers.
If mail going to one server backs up, you've got all that mail in a
single directory. If you think you solved a problem that caused a
backup, you can attempt redelivery on files in that one directory. (or
queue-group)

-Bill