Spamhaus problems (was: AT&T blocking RBL lookups)

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Sun Apr 18 17:44:34 IST 2004

On Apr 18, 2004, at 4:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> AFAIK Spamhaus has some mirroring arrangements for the RBL and I
> suppose
> it took some time to set them into effect. So, that's why it returned
> unreliable results for a short time.

Or you could download their zone to your own caching DNS server (if
you're not already running your own DNS service) and thus have your own
dedicated SBL mirror.

> I'd really wish there was a trojan which would nuke down spammers main
> operations the same way, one by one.

If it were to be made a trojan, I would be against it.

If, instead, it was a public and collaborative tool, well, then, I
might run a copy here :-)

(you could probably write one yourself, if you wanted ... just have it
be a perl script that cycles through the SBL list, and each day picks
an entry to send messages to ... and then just make sure that all
copies of the script will pick the same entry on the same day, or hour
since the zone updates every hour)